"I fear that so many feel that a long-term supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. Begin in a small way…gradually build toward a reasonable objective.” -President Gordon B. Hinckley,

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Potato Slices and Potato Shreds







 I have been experimenting with my food storage items by cooking our normal meals with food storage. With this experiment I used the Potato Slices and made scalloped potatoes.

Dehydrated Potato Slices #10 Can 20 oz


I started by re-hydrating the slices. I added about a 1/2 pound of slices and enough hot water to cover them. It took about 20-30 minutes for them to re-hydrate.


Once re-hydrated they felt just like a raw potato. I layered them in my pan then topped with cheese. (repeat until pan is as full as you desire)

On the stove top I mixed my powdered milk, salt, whole wheat flour, and butter. Bring to a simmer and then pour over the potatoes and cheese.



Bake at 350 F. Covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 60 minutes or until cheese is golden.

 It was delicious and you couldn't tell it was food storage. Enjoy!!

Potato Shreds

With this meal I made a Farmer's Casserole with Potato Shreds

Dehydrated Potato Shreds #10 Can 23 oz

I re-hydrated about 8 oz of shreds with enough hot water to cover them. They re-hydrated in about 15 minutes.





 In a separate bowl mix 1 1/2 cups of milk ( 1 1/2 cups water + 4 1/2 T of non- instant powdered milk), 4 eggs (8T water + 4T powdered egg), 1/8 tsp of salt, 1/8 tsp of pepper.


 Arrange potatoes evenly and sprinkle with cheese, green onions, and ham. Then pour egg mixture over the potatoes.


Bake 350F uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


 Another delicious meal made with food storage. The next items to change will be using freeze dried cheese instead of fresh cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm impressed. I am at a loss as to how to use my food storage since I'm now sensitive to wheat and allergic to dairy and eggs. It's a challenge I'm not motivated to deal with. ;)

    I'm going to have to look more closely at your blog. I didn't know you had one (or I forgot!). I'm curious what is in your 72-hour packs. I dread going through ours cuz I've stuffed so many things in them that it is a challenge getting it all back in. I think perhaps we have too much.

    ReplyDelete