"I fear that so many feel that a long-term supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. Begin in a small way…gradually build toward a reasonable objective.” -President Gordon B. Hinckley,

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Chicken

Freeze dried meat is very expensive, but I wanted to have meat in my food storage. I took on the "challenge" of canning chicken and discovered that it is SUPER easy.

What you need is:
A Pressure Canner


Salt (non-iodine)

Wide mouth quart jars

Raw chicken


First wash and prepare your jars. 
I bought my chicken in bulk and needed to separate the breasts and trim off additional fat.
                                     
      Then add 1 teaspoon of salt to each empty quart jar. Most canners will hold 7 quart jars at a time, so don't fill too many at once.  I put two breasts each in a quart, although I could have put more in. I only did two since there are just the two of us at home and I didn't need more than that at a time. In hind sight I should have done pints instead.  So, stuff the chicken into the quarts and leave 1 inch headspace.  Wipe the top of your jar clean with a wet rag and add your lid (that has been warmed in water) and hand tighten the ring on. 

Place the 7 quarts into a pressure canner.  Process for 90 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure.

You did it!! The chicken is fully cooked and all that lovely liquid is the most delicious broth around. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy these posts. I have had some trouble trying to figure out the best way to expand beyond three month food storage, but this blog has given me some good ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete