"I fear that so many feel that a long-term supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. Begin in a small way…gradually build toward a reasonable objective.” -President Gordon B. Hinckley,

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Three-month-supply

This is the perfect way to begin your food storage. Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage. To begin make a list of meals your family likes to eat that are shelf stable (meaning you can store them for 3 months or longer and they won’t go bad).
After I made a list of 30+ meals I wrote out what ingredients would be used to make the meal. So for example Baked Mac & Cheese- ½ lb elbow macaroni, 9 T powdered milk, 3T flour, 1T mustard, 1tsp onion powder, ½ tsp paprika, 1T egg powder, 12 ounces cheese, 1tsp salt.   In 3 months this meal is on the menu 6 times (twice a month), so I need to multiply each ingredient by 6 to ensure I have enough to make this meal. If another meal also calls for the same ingredients tally that as well.
After I had taken the time to hand write all this down I found an awesome website that has an excel format of what I had just done. Figures right? But that’s good news for you, makes it easier and faster. http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/babysteps/step-3-three-months-of-normal-food/
Now I have a list of all the ingredients that I will need in order to have a 3 month supply. As I look through ads and coupons online I can reference my list and purchase things when they are on sale or I have a coupon, or better yet BOTH! I have my menu planned for a month at a time and know what we will be eating for dinner way in advance.
Don’t forget to include non food items in your 3 month supply as well. Such as laundry soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, and diapers(if you have someone who requires them).
Don’t break the bank and purchase your 3 month all at once. By gradually getting an extra item here and there you will save money. No more running to the store for one or two items you ran out of and paying full price.  As you use an item from your storage be sure to replace it soon.  I keep a note pad handy with a list of what I need to replace.

Top 10 Rules for Grocery Shopping
1.      When you purchase something you are running out of, buy two. The plan is to always have at least one on hand.
2.      Keep your three-month-supply list nearby when you go through grocery ad or coupons.
3.      Make a list of items you are running out of, items you need for meals each week and any three-month-supply items that are on sale or you have a coupon for. Don’t forget to take the list with you to the store.
4.      Don’t go to the grocery store hungry! It will persuade you to make poor choices. ( I know I have done it, that and I’m cranky too.)
5.      Just because you can purchase something in bulk does not necessarily mean it is cheaper. Compare prices before shopping at a warehouse- or anywhere else.
6.      Find out if your grocery store has case-lot sales. Save up for them.
7.      If you don’t know if the price of an item is high or low, watch the price for a couple of weeks.
8.      Buy canned foods that look perfect. Torn labels and dust mean it has been sitting on the shelf too long. NEVER buy dented or bulging cans they may contain botulism.
9.      Shop at off peak hours. Early morning or late evening during the week you can often find meat and baked goods at clearance prices. And the check out line is usually very short.
10.  Categorize your shopping list organize it by what you are getting at each store and then group the items together (i.e. all the frozen foods together, etc.). Get your cold and frozen items last that will make sure they stay……. well cold and frozen.
                 


No comments:

Post a Comment