"I fear that so many feel that a long-term supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. Begin in a small way…gradually build toward a reasonable objective.” -President Gordon B. Hinckley,

Monday, April 1, 2013

Girl's night

March 30 I had a girl's night with some of the ladies in my church. We discussed food storage and sampled some meals.   Here is a recap of the items we tried/made. Whole wheat bread, honey powder, butter powder, creamy potato soup, oatmeal cookies, spiff e whip, and fruit drink mix.

We made whole wheat bread from the recipe found here.

                 Augason Farm Honey Powder-
                                                    We reconstituted honey powder.  


                                 Slowly add 1/4 cup of cold water to 1 cup of honey powder.
                                                                       Mix Well
                                                     Heat on low to dissolve sugars.
                                 Place in a covered jar and cool. Use as you would fresh honey.

The taste of the honey was very sweet. It was rather syrup like, even after sitting on the counter over night. I put it in the fridge for a couple hours and that helped it gain more of a honey consistency. Overall I would use this product again.  It can be used as a sweetener. Substitute for sugar or honey in recipes cup for cup. For liquid honey substitution 1 cup of liquid honey is equal to 1 cup honey powder and 1/4 cup water.

Augason Farms Butter Powder-
I made oatmeal cookies using this. The consistency of the cookie turned out alright, but the nasty smell of the butter powder overpowered the cookie. I threw the entire batch away and remade them with real butter. 
Reconstituted it tastes nothing like butter. Even in the can it doesn't smell like butter, more like sour milk. I would not recommend this brand's product.

Augason Farms Dried Whole Egg-

I have been using powdered eggs for almost 2 years now. I use them in all of my baking. Everything I have made with it has turned out just fine. I use 1T of powered egg and 2T of water to equal 1 fresh egg,

Augason Farms Creamy Potato Soup Mix- 
 


 
2 cups of soup mix and 6 1/2 cups of water is a serving for 6 people. Directions: 1. Whisk soup mix into boiling water. 2.Simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes. 3. Stir frequently (For a thicker soup lower water by 1/4 cup).
This soup was delicious. It had great flavor, little chunks of potatoes, and it is MSG free. I will be adding more cans of this to my food storage.

Augason Farms Spiff E Whip-
DIRECTIONS:
Whipped Topping
1. Combine one cup Spiff-E-Whip dry mix with 8 oz ice water.
2. Beat on high speed for 3-5 minutes until peaks form.
3. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated after mixed.
YIELD: 1 cup of dry powder yields four 2/3 cup servings

For Frosting: “Just add water”
1. Combine 1 cup Spiff-E-Whip dry mix with 4 oz. water.
2. Beat on high speed until smooth.
Chocolate frosting: Add 1 tsp of cocoa and 1 tsp of powdered sugar or add to your favorite cocoa drink mix.
Fruit flavored frosting: Add 1 package dry flavored drink mix such as strawberry, cherry, etc.
 
Mousse:
1. Combine 1 cup Spiff-E-Whip dry mix with 2 tsp of cocoa, 2 tsp of powdered sugar, and 1 tsp of corn starch with 5 ounces of water.
2. Beat on high speed until smooth




We made whipped topping. I made it ahead of time and allowed it to cool in the fridge for an hour. We put this on our oatmeal cookies and it was absolutely amazing. I will be stocking up on this product for sure. 

Fruit Drink Mix from LDS dry pack cannery-
1 cup of fruit drink mix and 2 quarts of water. The drink was good. I thought it was very sugary, but I don't drink much soda or juice. I watered mine down even more and it was much better. If you had water that tasted funny, this would be the perfect "cover up".

We had a great evening and learned a little more about food storage and which items we would incorporate into our year's supply and which items we would pass on.  I look forward to doing this again in the future.


















1 comment: