"I fear that so many feel that a long-term supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. Begin in a small way…gradually build toward a reasonable objective.” -President Gordon B. Hinckley,

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Regrowing Green Onions

I had heard that green onions, even from the grocery store, will continue to grow once you have harvested the main stem. I decided to put it to the test.





 I purchased these green onions from Winco and used them for our dinner. Normally, I would compost this, thinking it was waste.









 This time I put it in a dish of water. Daily I replaced the old water with fresh water. Within 3 days I noticed that the green onion was GROWING.






                            After a few cuttings from the "new" green onion I put it in a pot of miracle grow soil. That made it really happy.  I have since moved the green onions into my herb garden. The same bundle I bought from Winco has been growing new harvestable green onions for 3 months now.









                                                   It also works with romaine lettuce.


I wasn't able to successfully move the plant out into the garden, but I did get 2 cuttings off of each one. It didn't grow as tall or as thick as it originally was when I bought it, but I consider it a win that I didn't have to buy additional lettuce as often.

No comments:

Post a Comment